If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (360) 703-3884

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Portable Heat

11/14/2020 (Permalink)

SERVPRO Fire Damage Photo SERVPRO Fire Damage Photo

Great! The cold winter months are here, said no one ever. Thermostats are being cranked up, wood piles are filled up and as we sit nestled in our homes all snug in our blankets, SERVPRO would like to discuss a few safety tips with you before you go get that space heater out to warm up that one deep back room in your house. 

Space heaters are popular for several reasons. They're small and compact, considerably cost efficient, and they can keep your room warm. However, they are also one of the leading causes of fires during the winter and are responsible for nearly 80% of home heating fires.

If you are going to use any sort of portable heaters in your home, we would like to share some important safety tips with you.

Essential safety precautions: 

  • Always plug your heaters directly into the wall (Never us extension cords or power strips).
  • Keep anything that can burn at least 3ft away including blankets, furniture, drapes and electronics ext. 
  • Insure your smoke alarms/ carbon monoxide alarms are working properly.
  • Do not allow children or pets near.
  • Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Avoid placing them on carpet or area rugs.
  • Turn off heaters when unattended and before bed.

When improperly used, space heaters can carry a very high price if a fire happens. 

Extension cords and/or power strips are not designed to handle the high current flow needed for space heaters and can over heat and cause a fire. Although they are small the amount of electricity used to power them can overload the circuit and cause the extension cord to overheat.

Several of the newer models have a tip over switch, touch sensor, over heat protection, and also a longer power cord. Space heaters are one of those items that don't often get replaced and although it is recommended because the older models can potentially be more dangerous. Evan the newer models of heaters can be dangerous if used improperly. 

In an unfortunate instant, tragedy can happen. Always follow safely and be responsible.

As always if you or someone you know experiences a house fire we are always here to help. 

SERVPRO of Longview/Kelso Fire & water - Cleanup & Restoration 1425 Alabama St. Suit M Longview, WA 98632 (360)703-3884

Other News

View Recent Posts