Winter gutter maintenance, before it's to late.
The colder temperatures are here and we'll soon be cleaning the frost/ice off our windshields in the morning and making sure are cars are warmed before we leave for work. Spending time outside is not ideal, especially if it's to preform yard work and maintenance.
Harsher weather is often accompanied by strong winds and drastic rain fall, which is why it's a great time to clean and check your roof and gutters. Performing these tasks is very important, to ensure your home is safe from flood and water damage. The gutters of your home and business are frequently neglected due to there visibility.
To help keep water away from your roof and foundation, gutters need to be cleared of any clogs or blockage made by leaves and debris. It's recommended to clean your gutters at least 1-4 times a year and more frequently if you have overhanging trees. Also, clean clogged gutters after big storms.
How to clean your gutters:
- Wear a shirt with long sleeves, and rubber gloves.
- Have a good extendable ladder available. Standoff stabilizers are ideal to keep the ladder from damaging the gutter.
- Use a small plastic scoop to remove gunk (A Childs sand shovel works great).
- Lay down a plastic tarp, to catch the debris.
- After you’ve cleared the muck, flush the gutters and downspouts with a garden hose (Also, a great way to spot any leaks).
Benefits of gutter cleaning:
- To prevent water damage to your home.
- Avoid nesting areas for termites, birds, and insects.
- Avert mold and bacteria.
- Prevent destruction of expensive landscaping.
- Stop ice build up and damage.
- Maintain the value and beauty of your home.
However, we can't always prevent the inevitable, which is why SERVPRO is always prepared for all of your restoration emergency's. SERVPRO of Lonview/Kelso Specializing in Water Damage cleanup and restoration (360)703-3884!